These elegant and spacious rooms are principally used for comfortable afternoon gatherings and for dining in the evening. They were named in recognition of the generous contribution of the Knox family and its members of the club since its founding in 1857. Three direct generations of the family have been presidents of the club,
Sir Edward Knox (1819–1901), the Danish-born son of a Scottish Baltic merchant/trader, arrived in Australia in 1840 and founded the Colonial Sugar Refining Company (CSR) in 1855. He was a founding member of the Club and its president 1882–1901.
His son, Edward William Knox (Ned) (president 1908–1921) was general manager of CSR, a member of the Senate of the University of Sydney for twenty-five years and a trustee of Sydney Grammar School for forty years.
His grandson, Sir Edward Ritchie Knox MC (Ted) followed his father on the board at CSR, was president of the club 1943–1946.
A son-in-law of Ned Knox, Dr Henry Cyril Adams (Bill) was president 1946–1949
The youngest brother of Ned Knox, Sir Adrian Knox was a leading King’s Counsel of his day and Chief Justice of the High Court 1921-1930. During his time at the Bar and on the Court, the club was the centre of his social world.